Workers’ compensation (or “workman’s comp”) is a system designed to help workers pay for medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses after being injured on the job without having to file a lawsuit against their employer.
Unfortunately, the system doesn’t always work, and the injured worker is left without the benefits that he or she needs.
When you have been injured on the job, turn to Shafner Law to make sure you understand your rights and are getting the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. Call (303) 796-0555 today for your free consultation.
“I refer clients to Shafner Law because you guys ‘give a s---’ and do a good job.” –Robert Cooper, Cooper and Tanis
Know Your Rights under Colorado Workers’ Compensation Law
Workers’ compensation should provide the money you need when you are injured on the job. However, disputes often arise over treatment, treatment providers, and your ability to return to work.
Work-related injuries that are covered under Colorado workers’ compensation include:
- Injuries sustained at your job site
- Pre-existing injuries that are made worse by your work injury
- Injuries that happened during your break or lunch hour
- Injuries that happened in employee break rooms or restrooms
- Injuries that happened during a company sponsored event
- Injuries that happened on work-related trips
- Injuries caused by mental or physical strain due to increased work duties or work-related stress
- Medical conditions that arise because of exposure to hazardous materials at work
Colorado’s workers’ compensation system is a no-fault system. You are entitled to compensation for work-related injuries regardless of who is at fault for those injuries.
In some cases, however, you may be able to bring a third-party claim against an at-fault party, such as a manufacturer of a faulty piece of equipment. In these cases the compensation you receive in the third-party lawsuit will partially reimburse your employer for the workers’ compensation insurance.
If you’ve been injured on the job, you need an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to fully understand your rights.
Call Shafner Law today at (303) 796-0555. We welcome clients throughout Denver and the entire state of Colorado.