As the fall season advances, the days grow shorter and shorter. For many, this means driving to work in the dark, and for some even driving home after dusk. Nighttime driving presents an additional set of challenges. According to the National Safety Council, the risk of death in an auto accident is three times higher after dark—even though there are far fewer drivers on the roads. Risk factors that can send you looking for an auto accident lawyer in Denver include drunk drivers and reduced visibility. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce your risks.
Tips for Driving at Night
Improve your visibility and your vision by taking the following steps:
- Keep your headlights on to increase visibility. If you don’t have daytime driving lights, turn your headlights on an hour before dusk and keep them on an hour after dawn.
- Make sure your headlights are functioning well. Get your headlights aligned, and make sure they are not too hazy to light up the road.
- Be aware of weather conditions that can reduce visibility. Snow, rain, and fog can make it even harder to see or be seen. Make sure to reduce speed and keep all equipment in top shape—especially tires and lights.
Lessen your risk for drunk driving accidents by following these guidelines:
- Never drink and drive. At night, there is an added danger of drowsiness that can accompany even light drinking.
- Be extra cautious of other drivers who may be drunk. Be on the lookout for weaving, changes in speed, and carelessness. Stay well away from these drivers by slowing down and considering alternate routes.
If you need an auto accident lawyer in the Denver area, please call Shafner Law today at (303) 796-0555 to schedule your free consultation. We represent clients throughout the Denver metro area, including Aurora, Greenwood Village, DTC, and the entire state of Colorado.