Who Can File a Wrongful Death Case

The untimely death of a loved one is a difficult time for the entire family. You not only have to cope with the loss, but you have to deal with the financial injury that results from a wrongful death.

If your spouse or family member was the victim of medical malpractice, an accident caused by negligence, or a violent crime, you might be eligible to file a wrongful death case.


Immediate Family Members

In order to file a wrongful death claim, you must be related to the deceased by marriage or blood. This includes:

  • Spouses
  • Life Partners
  • Children and Adopted Children
  • Parents
  • Parents of Unmarried Adult Children
  • Parents of Deceased Fetus (The fetus must be born alive).
  • Financial Dependents

The Decedent’s Estate

Depending on the state, a wrongful death case can only be filed by a representative of the decedent’s estate. If damages for financial injury, or punitive damages, are awarded, they go directly to the estate. The representative can then split the monetary award as stated in the decedent’s will.

The loss of income and support you have endured could entitle you to compensation from the responsible party. No amount of money will make up for the death of your spouse or family member, but it can go a long way in providing financial security in your time of grief.

If you’re looking for a wrongful death lawyer in Denver, call Shafner Law today at (303) 796-0555 for your free consultation with an experienced and compassionate personal injury attorney.

We serve clients throughout the Denver area and the entire state of Colorado. If you can’t come to our office, we will come to your home, work, or location that is convenient for you.